"God showed me something small, no bigger than a hazelnut, lying in the palm of my hand… and it was round as a ball. I looked at it with the eye of my understanding and thought: 'What can this be?' And it was generally answered thus: 'It is all that was made.' It was so small I thought it might disappear, but I was answered... everything has being through the love of God." --Julian of Norwich

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Thankful Thought(s) #4

Today I'm thankful for sleep.  The more I learn about sleep--so I can teach Lucy to sleep better--the less and less I can take it for granted.  It is so good to rest, to close my eyes and open them to a new day.

In related news, I'm also thankful for sonnets written about sleep.  Like Sir Philip Sidney's or Wordsworth's (ooh, he wrote two, no three!) or Keats's.  Okay, so they were written by tortured insomniacs, but I can relate.

On a funnier note, I'm also grateful for the skill of writing literature reviews/annotated bibliographies.  You know, the ones that make you summarize and compare arguments and to analyze their usefulness for my project. Lucy had a crazy no-sleep week, so I was running on fumes all week--while trying to figure out a "Plan" for helping her sleep better.  And sleep research can be a little confusing.  There's cry-it-out and no-cry and everything in between.  I just want to know what's normal and how can I help Lucy fall asleep and stay asleep at night. So, bring on the lit review... Oh my, I'm such a nerd.  It really did help to look at more than one book and to write things out though.  Over-educated housewife right here. :oP

No comments:

Post a Comment