"God showed me something small, no bigger than a hazelnut, lying in the palm of my hand… and it was round as a ball. I looked at it with the eye of my understanding and thought: 'What can this be?' And it was generally answered thus: 'It is all that was made.' It was so small I thought it might disappear, but I was answered... everything has being through the love of God." --Julian of Norwich

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Five-Sense Friday

Yesterday I was...
Seeing: Golden Alberta prairies aglow with life.  A bright gray sky, reaching to touch every horizon.  The warm grey road winding like a silver thread across the gentle rises of golden earth.  Oil-derrick-horses grazing on the fields, pulling wealth out of the deep earth.  Blackened controlled-burn fields.  Red cattle and fluffly alpaca.

Feeling: The vibrations of the steering wheel under my fingers.  The wind against the car, the prairie's life-breath, Spirit hovering over and giving life.

Hearing: Lucy's sweet, snuffly snores from the back seat.  The rustling pages of  Clint's seminary reading.  My mother-in-law's soft, cadenced voice.  Road-silence.

Tasting:  A Belize coffee, mild and bright on my tongue, a special Birthday splurge.

Smelling:  Coffee steam.  Wooly Keble College scarf.  Winter prairie freshness.


Some days the vastness of the prairies feels overpowering and alienating, but yesterday, my 29th birthday, it felt like freedom and independence (the good kind) and beauty and possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment