"God showed me something small, no bigger than a hazelnut, lying in the palm of my hand… and it was round as a ball. I looked at it with the eye of my understanding and thought: 'What can this be?' And it was generally answered thus: 'It is all that was made.' It was so small I thought it might disappear, but I was answered... everything has being through the love of God." --Julian of Norwich

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Five Sense Friday

Seeing: Bright, frosty morning, ice on the windows of our car as I walk by on my way to the coffee shop; revisions, revisions, revisions, words, sentences, paragraphs and pages starting to look like a book; sunshine building through the day, moving across our kitchen floor; wilty carrot tops in the garden that I never pulled in the fall, but that still hide big orange roots ripe for picking; cloudless blue sky.

Hearing: Crish-crash, Oops, it was trash day again; quiet folksy music, the hum of the coffee shop and of the traffic on my walk home; Lu's constant toddler babble; her laughter as we go outside to ride her bike and jump on the trampoline in the yard, letting Daddy rest off a headache.

Tasting:  An almond croissant (special ordered with no powdered sugar!), seltzer water; a green apple with peanut butter; cheesy crackers, but oops, not quite enough for lunch; carrots sweet from hibernation and made into muffins (gluten free!); leftover rice pasta and meat sauce.

Smelling: Trash cans and compost bins (various); last night's dishes soaking in the sink; coffee-smell in my coat on the way home; wet earth; bathtime humidity.

Feeling:  Computer keys smooth and black beneath my fingers; sun warm on my black cardigan (no coat! Eight degrees in January!) as I sit in the trampoline and Lucy bounces me around; dirt on my fingers (what is this, spring?); baby kicks and rolls in my belly stronger every day (and especially strong through last night!).  This dull ache of exhaustion or happiness to just be no matter what, whichever it is, and sometimes it is all the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment